Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Corona Chair-holder's Review: Esteban Carreras


Size:           7x54 Churchill
Wrapper:   Connecticut
Binder:       Dominican
Filler:          Dominican and Nicaraguan blend
Notes:        An elegant mild creamy and toasty smoke that turns woody toward the finish.  It draws well and burns even with a grayish ash that holds steady.

I was introduced to Esteban cigars at Sue's Coffee House in St. Clair, Michigan - another jewel of Michigan Cigar places bordering across Canada on the St. Clair River - where I appreciate their lines from the early 1961, Cuban Semilla, and 187 to my favorite, the 10 Anos.  The Carerra Connecticut has always been one of my favorites because of it's incredible creamy and smooth taste from start to finish.  It paired well with my coffee while reading WSJ.  The price is right (at The Corona Smokeshop in Okemos) at about $8.00.

I feel that Esteban has been grossly overlooked by many of my cigar colleagues who occasionally enjoy the smoke and especially the price which range from $5.50 to $11.75.   What little they know is that Esteban has been one of the few originators and producers in Estelli, Nicaragua.  The cigars are always beautifully constructed and aged beyond their release.  This is particularly true to all of the Connecticut vitolas.  Most recently they released the Esteban Connecticut 12 year old (a red sub-band).These age well in humidors and I found that "overlooked" cigars like this Connecticut 12 is most likely aged waiting for that someone to enjoy a rich, smooth smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment